Resident FAQs


Residents are employees of the Health Authorities of British Columbia. Payroll and benefits are administered by BC Clinical and Support Services (BCCSS) - formerly known as HSSBC.

Collective Agreement has been signed between HEABC (representing the hospital employers) and Resident Doctors of BC (representing the residents). The agreement is available online on the Resident Doctors of BC website. Residents should be fully aware of the contents of the Agreement. Residents, other than those funded by a bona fide agency, receive benefits under the terms of this Agreement.

In BC, a medical resident is not considered a student. The T2202 only reports the amount that you pay for your registration fee, which is not the same as tuition.
Note: Student status for residents may be different in other provinces.

A letter of confirmation can be issued by your Site Office or the Program Office.

You need to notify the Site & Program Office once you’ve decided when to start your maternity leave. Your Site will rearrange your rotations, and submit the mat leave request to the Program/Dean’s Office. Once the leave request is processed (often 2-3 days), you can contact Payroll at HSSBC to obtain your ROE for EI application.

You must submit a copy of your marriage certificate to the College to change the name on your license. Make sure to also contact UBC's Postgraduate Dean’s Office with the same supporting documentation to update your UBC record. Notify your site office and the residency program office, as well as other professional institutions once your license is updated.

Your survey request, together with the consent form, should be sent to Our office will forward this to the residents list serve for you.

Report to the supervisor who may engage the Occupational Health Office Protocol of the institution.  An incidence report will need to be completed.  Residents need to call the Workplace Health Call Centre (1-866-922-9464).

It is mandatory for residents to have Long Term Disability Insurance. Residents are automatically enrolled in an Employer paid LTD plan. If residents want to obtain additional coverage they can contact any CMPA provider.


All residents are required to have CMPA coverage. The Ministry of Health will reimburse category 12 CMPA fees.

Residents are protected under CMPA and UBC liability insurance if the elective is done within Canada. However, if it is an out of country elective, the resident should purchase supplementary health and travel insurance.

The statutory pay will be included in your biweekly pay cheque. It takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks for the pay to be processed.

Lieu days in general will only be given when resident provide clinical service on a statutory holiday.  The only other time when residents will get lieu day is when a mandatory course take place on a Sunday. Residents will get one lieu day for their participation.

No. You must use your vacation or lieu days to attend R3 interviews

Please refer to the PGME guidelines on reimbursement.

You are not expected to attend academic half day while on your rural rotation. You may choose to attend those sessions if you are in a close vicinity site. However, your travel will not be reimbursed.

Finance – Reimbursement Processing

Depending on where you are located, generally it takes between 6-8 weeks for UBC Financial Services to process a claim (provided the information accompanying the claim is complete). It is therefore important for you to use an address that will be valid for the next one or two months.

Yes. To increase the timeliness of reimbursements, Vancouver Coastal Health Accounts Payable highly encourages the use of direct deposit. (This is separate from your payroll direct deposit). Please fill out this authorization form.

There are also times when UBC will reimburse residents for expenses. To set up direct deposit with UBC, please fill out this authorization form.

Under certain circumstances, travel advance can be arranged. Please contact the Education Coordinator at at the Program Office.

For questions related specifically to rural rotations, please visit the Rural FAQ section.